Monday, June 18, 2012

12 Hours of Temecula with Heidi: From Competitor to Teammate to Friend

When Heidi Volpe asked me to race So Cal Endurance's "12 Hours of Temecula" I was ecstatic. Heidi is a strong endurance racer; she beat me in the 2011 Warrior's Society "Counting Coup." Her times in 2010 and 2011 (both course records) inspired me to get back into racing (after a 5 year hiatus) and to try structured training. So, I started the day excited to race with someone for whom I have great respect. Heidi would now be my teammate, not my competition. I was also excited to be racing for something I believe in; namely, a plant-based diet.

Heidi and I decided that I would lead, as I need to work on my starts. Of course, I regretted signing up for lap #1 the moment I lined up. I absolutely abhor race starts - the nerves, the commotion, testosterone-fueled males mowing me over (or so it seems!), etc. I talked with Laura Knight from Team Troupe to cool my nerves.

And then, we were off! We did a short lap around the campgrounds before heading out onto the course. Because I started toward the back (doh!), I had to work my way up. There were still a lot of men in front of me when we hit the dirt. It wasn't until that first, steep, sustained climb that I started to really pass people. My HR soared to 187, which freaked me out, because I knew I had a lot of racing left. But I stuck to my strategy - I knew I had to get past as many people as possible before the technical single-track. (I replicated this strategy each lap, with great success.)

I caught up to my Team Margarita teammate David Graf (whom I drove up with), and we entered the single-track together. David was having trouble on the switchbacks (odd, b/c he's usually faster downhill than I), so he let me pass. We ended up trading places and working together for the rest of the lap, and for the next three laps. Only whereas I was racing duo, David was racing solo!!!!

The course was so smooth and fun. I was very fast on descents and found that I was making up a lot of time on other racers on the descents. This year I have been working so hard to regain my technical skills. I used to race Pro downhill at Southridge a few years ago, and I finally feel like those skills are coming back in a big way. For a while I was afraid that I had "lost it."

Anyway, my first lap time was solid - 42 minutes (8.5 mile course, 1,500 feet), including the extra loop at the start. Heidi took off for lap #2 and also put in a very solid time - 43 minutes or so. The SoCal Endurance team was pitting for us (Thanks Ryan!!!), and so all of our lap times were recorded. (We were also ordered to stretch, eat and spin out our legs!) Between laps I was able to relax and chat (especially with Willie from Team Troupe), EAT, stretch and spin my legs out. It was pretty ideal. Having never raced this format, I was really surprised by the fact that the rests didn't make my legs stiff. Rather, the rests recharged me.

Meanwhile, we were in a solid second place for the entire race. Joel and Mario (also on SoCal Endurance) were in a solid first place for the entire race. This was Joel's first 12-hour duo race as well, and we both joked that we "only have one pace."

Screw pacing.

I don't really do pacing that much anymore. I find that my body just knows what pace to go at. I don't think about it. This seemed to work for me. Also, I wanted to win the fastest female lap time of the day ($50 prize) and the Strava speed trap contest on "Tunnel of Love" (free Crank Brother's race kit). So, there was no letting off the gas for me. To my excitement, I won both prizes. (I can't wait to have a race kit with bib shorts - no more elastic cutting into my waist.)

My second lap was 41 minutes, and I seemed to lose a minute with each lap. Lap 5 was nearly 45 minutes. On lap 5 the 6 hour racers were done, and almost nobody was on the course. I didn't feel motivated, with nobody to race against. (I really need to get over this, because I don't race well when I'm out in front by myself.)

By this time Heidi was settling into 50 minute laps, a pace she kept up for the remainder of the race - pretty impressive when you consider she hasn't been training for endurance at all, whereas I have been focusing mainly on endurance.

Fortunately, laps and 6 and 7 were very different. I started to really gain energy in a big way. I felt like I had limitless supplies. I found myself picking people to race against, which really helped with my motivation issues. "So what if that guy's not my competition; I'll race him anyway."

At 7:38 I went out for our last lap (#15) - my 8th lap of the day. I began to flag a little - a combination of tired legs and the fact that the sun was setting. Also, I couldn't ride as fast in the dark. But to my surprise, I rode the first half of the course just as fast as my fast laps, so I must have lost time on the technical descents in the dark. Anyway, my last lap was 45 minutes - not too shabby! So, there was only a 4 minute differential between my fastest and slowest lap times.

Heidi and I just missed being able to do a 16th lap, but we were way ahead of 3rd place (and all of the male duo teams - save for Mario and Joel).

We rewarded ourselves with tons of vegan food afterward, and I had a nice, long hot shower. After the awards ceremony, David (who got 3rd in Pro men) and I headed home via the Ortega highway. I was tired but satisfied - fun day!

No comments:

Post a Comment