Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Andy's Over the Hump Race Reports for Weeks 3, 4 & 5!



The race 3 course was a reverse of the first two weeks' Sport/Expert lap, so this meant a hike-a-bike for sure on one section and another potential hike-a-bike just after!

So, the race began with a sprint to the single-track, at which point I was about 5th to 8th in my group, being aware that traffic could be an issue.

It was a nightmare as soon as we hit the single-track, catching the B3 riders right at the entrance. I got knocked off by someone going nuts and heard a clicking noise the rest of the race. (I found out later that a tie wrap broke, letting the brake cable touch a spoke.) Also, people were lined up waiting to walk up the short rise at the end of the single-track.   

I could not catch the leaders but stayed close, then I went up the sandy bank, which was for sure a "hike-a-bike" as well as very crowded, as was the single-track leading to it. There was no room to pass. Next was the other climb, which I did not make. There were too many people walking, and I lost sight of the leaders in my class. So, I added to my to-do list "practice steep climbs and not weaving."

The second lap was a repeat, with high traffic in the single-track areas in addition to now having Pro’s wanting to pass as well. (David said it was really bad as well and basically backed off.) And again I ended up walking up the hills as I could not hold a line and avoid all the walkers. I sprinted for the finish, and I jumped the last person by a few inches for 8th. I learned a lot of lessons about racing in traffic!

The race 4 course was almost the same as race 3, but they took out the hike-a-bike section and gave us a long climb up, with a descent straight back down. 

This time I really sprinted for the single-track, secured a place in second and worked with Anthony, who was in first. We negotiated the traffic well, dropping the others in our class. We worked together using our strengths to get a good lead, always expecting the others to suddenly appear. But they did not. He pulled a short lead on the flats, but I was close, so on the second lap I caught him and tried to drop him by going fast on to the last climb. But I did not have it in me, and when I made it to the top I chased him all the way to the finish, arriving only 8 seconds behind him for 2nd place! I was pleased with the way we rode together and happy he had won. I learned about team work this week and had the fastest lap in the class on my 2nd lap.

A picture from race 4 (working hard!):



The race 5 course was back to the course from weeks 1 and 2, with just a short part of the final single-track missing and with a new short cut, which cut out a sandy section.

There was a mad sprint to the first climb, but I entered the climb behind Anthony and secured the second spot. I stuck with him all the way, and we got joined by a third rider in our group. I managed traffic really well and sat behind the two leaders, drafting right into the single-track, where Anthony fell. I stopped (I had no choice, as he was right in front of me; but I would have anyway), checked he was okay and then went after the leader. But I could not quite close the gap. I got close but was done by the back straight on the second lap, so I kept a steady pace and made sure I got 2nd again. 

The results:



Again, I learned more about which areas I need to improve in. I have got to corner better when it's loose or sandy. I have a MB Clinic on Saturday that Sarah and Tani from The Path are teaching at, so that should help, and I also need to ride with Keith and David again.

So, 5 races are done, with three 2nd places! More training! I need to get a 1st!

No comments:

Post a Comment