Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Andy takes the series lead (and leader's jersey!) in OTH!


Round 6 was almost the same route as round 5, but again more of the single track had been removed, as it had become very sandy (which was ok with me - 29-ers like sand, and mine had no issues). 

It started well, and I was in 3rd place heading for the climb. I fell back about 10 yards, but as soon as we hit the turn onto the climb, I caught the leaders, and by the top of the climb I took the lead.

I took it easy on the steep, dusty downhill (as Anthony fell there in the warm-up) and got passed and fell to 2nd, which was ok with me. Then coming off the beach, I got passed for 3rd and discovered they knew a faster line up the bank, which I had considered before. I stayed in the small, select group, which was four B4 riders; we went past loads of B3 & B2 riders and felt ok. The group separated a little on the single track, but was basically all together for the second lap climb.

It was still going well, and I decided to take the new line with the others and made a mistake, forgetting to change down to the small ring. I cranked up the bank at almost zero revolutions and max power and got an instant cramp!

I had to spin it off in the small ring and the top 3 got away ... another lesson learned!

I finished 4th and moved to the Jersey points lead by 1 point in B4!

I am now researching cramps/drinks, etc. and plan to keep training. In 4 weeks time I will start with the Jersey and try and keep it! Then we will see what happens, as it’s the best of 9 from 12 which count. So, results get dropped near the end, and some people have missed rounds already and do not show up on the table yet.


No comments:

Post a Comment