Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Andy's first mtb race in 20 years: Over the Hump #1


1993! That’s when I last did a solo Mountain Bike Race, I did maybe four or five Races in around '92/'93 in Muddy old England with my friend Chris:




Now almost 20 years later and inspired by Sarah, Keith, Ryan & David (we were the original Team Margarita for last year’s 12 Hours of Temecula in November), and a new bike, I decided it was time to try some solo races.

So after pre-riding the course, I knew it was going to be fun! I got a prep talk before the start from my loyal supporters - Sarah, Keith & Ryan - and lined up with about 35 others in my class (Mens beginner over 50).



Each class starts with about a minute or two between them, and I knew it would be congested after doing the start at the 12 hour last year. What I did not expect was to be catching on the first climb riders from the classes starting ahead of us (so it was a little more than congested), but I passed quite a few!

After the climb it drops down towards the lake, and the riders split on the course, with beginners going right. Here loads of people fell and I had to stop, walk/run around a mess and up the next slope to get where I could get back on the bike.

Then I was down onto the beach, with constant traffic to pass, and then again I got caught up with people falling again. This would happen 3 times on this lap, each time with me having to get off the bike. Note to self: next time either pass them earlier or give more room.

I found on the flat that I could pass people and also up climbs, so I think I had a good pace … .


Then I was back towards the beach where Team Margarita was cheering, and I pulled off a cool pass right in front of them and into the single track.





Again, I had someone fall right in front of me and not a lot of space to overtake, and then I was into the second lap……

This went well and I just passed people when I could, shouted at one guy who almost stopped in the middle of the single track to ‘keep going,’ but I had to slow down and got passed by two guys in my class. I passed them on the next climb, then saved all my energy for a flat road section, as it seemed to be fast there. 

I was a little tired by now, so I settled for a steady pace, caught a couple of riders in the single track section, but could not pass, and then I was into the last open section and passed like 10 people as soon as the track widened. 




I got a cramp in the last 100 yards, but it made no difference, as no one right behind me.




So there we are - 9th in class, slightly faster 2nd lap and needed 2 minutes a lap more to win class, so entered this Tuesday race and will try again.


My prize: 





Andy

1 comment:

  1. Andy, CONGRATULATIONS - That is awesome and a great write up! Sarah and Keith can sure inspire people, so I know how you feel. Great photos and I will try and make one of those races, but it's quite a drive for me.
    you'll kill him next week!
    go team and go Andy!

    ReplyDelete