Monday, May 21, 2012

Sarah's Idyllwild Spring Challenge race report

I have been wanting to do this race for years, and I finally managed it! The race was remarkably well organized, and the course was fun (as well as excruciating) in places. There was a very good Pro payout (equal for men and women) as well. Even better, it wasn't too hot.

So organized:



They even had a free doggie daycare. Our dog Teddy is the little tan dog:



However, I didn't have the best start or the best finish. It was a learning experience. This race didn't go exactly as planned, despite the fact that my legs felt pretty good. (I had raced Whiskey 50 the week prior). I lined up at the start in front. In hindsight, I should have lined up behind Allison Mann, which is exactly what Tonya Bray (a local Pro) did. I realized my error immediately. Allison Mann was off and in the lead, with Tonya trailing her. Leslie Patterson and I were close behind. Very quickly Allison Mann started to pull out a gap, but Leslie and I had nowhere to get around Tonya, because the race starts on single-track. Finally on Keen I got around Tonya and tried to catch Allison up. I very nearly did, but she hit the descent before the meadow before I could catch her.

Start (8 Pro women):



Bottom of Keen Camp w/ Leslie Patterson trailing:




There went my race plan. I knew that Allison knows that course inside and out, and I was hoping to hold onto her on some of the downhills so as to get a time advantage. Sure enough, she pulled way away from me on that descent.

Leslie was still close behind, so I was really working it. I didn't know at the time, but Leslie Patterson is the 2011 (and now 2012!) Xterra World Champion. I am sort of glad I didn't know this at the time, as it would have freaked me out. Anyway, I tried to stay ahead of her on the fire road after the meadow, because I knew that narrow single-track would follow shortly. I was happy that I managed to do this. For the next 15 or so miles I didn't see Leslie. I had (fortunately) pre-rode the infamous Lower Southridge trail, so I rode that really smoothly (save for one minor fall), and I think I opened up a pretty big gap there and got back onto May Valley Road in good time.

By this time, I was going back and forth with a Pro man, Derek Hermon. He was a lot faster on the descents, and I was a lot faster on the ascents. We would be trading places for the remainder of the race.



When I hit the Saunder's Meadow Rd. & Pine Ave. climb (the steepest, most sustained climb on the course) I was very glad that I had rode the 7 Sisters a lot in training. This was worse. Definitely. I think I put in a good effort, despite feeling like I might have to get off. (I didn't.) At the top someone informed me that I was 2 minutes behind Allison Mann.

This information had the opposite effect of what it should have had. I should have tried to chase her down, but instead I figured that there was no way I could possibly beat Allison Mann and I just ought to settle for 2nd place, which I figured I had in the bag at this point. That black jersey I spotted way down the road may or may not have been Leslie, but in any case I figured 2nd place and $500 was mine.

At this point there was a good deal of up and down single-track until the finish, but at least the sustained climbing was over. I started to ride slower, and the guys I had passed on the pervious climb came flying past me. In addition, I was starting to bonk in a big way. Darn Heed! I just was not riding that smoothly or efficiently. Up and down riding always saps my energy, as I'm more accustomed to long fire road climbs of the sort we see in the Santa Anna's. So, this is definitely something I need to work on.

In any case, I paid a price for my slowness and for letting my guard down. Out of the blue Leslie was right behind me, maybe 5 miles from the finish. I stayed ahead for a couple miles, but she was right there. I couldn't lose her, despite my best efforts. I really did speed up considerably, but it was too late. In addition, I was riding sloppy. I rode up to a big rock drop which I shouldn't have attempted but did (in my panic). I crashed and lost my chain. While I was scrambling to put the chain back on my bike Leslie kindly asked whether I was okay. She assured me that I would catch her back up, and then she took off. What a nice girl!

But I was demoralized and running out of steam. I started reeling some of the guys back in, but I couldn't find Leslie. I knew she had to know I was close behind and was giving it her all. I started to give up. Still, I was happy to be 3rd in a field of 8 Pro women, and I crossed the finish line with a smile. I learned a few lesson both about nutrition, starting and the mental game of racing, and I hope to apply them in the future! Also, getting beaten by a minute-and-a-half by an Xterra World Champion isn't so bad for my 2nd Pro race. :-)


After the race, Leslie introduced herself. She's Scottish, and her husband is English. Keith is also English, so we had a lot to chat about. I congratulated her and was proud of myself for being so sportsmanlike.

That evening Keith and I got some good food at one of our favorite restaurants, Gastronome in Idyllwild village. Afterward we hung out with the Mann's at their fire pit, which was really nice.

Then we crashed early, and Teddy and Keith snuggled up to each other for warmth:


The next day we left Teddy at the campsite for two hours (he's remarkably well-behaved and sought shade in the tent) and did a mellow ride.


I was pretty exhausted afterward. Two weekends in a row of racing was catching up with me:


We managed to squeeze in a hike with Teddy, who was very happy. I donned my Vibram trail shoes:



All in all, it was a really fun and relaxing trip, even if it wasn't my best race. You can read Allison Mann's writeup of the Idyllwild Spring Challenge on MTB Race News: http://www.mtbracenews.com/news/idyllwild-spring-challenge-tinker-juarez-allison-mann-california

No comments:

Post a Comment