Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Andy's Race Report: Over The Hump Round 2


Wow.” That’s not what I really said when I found out I came 2nd in my class this week.
After last week’s race, I just wanted another top 10, so I did intervals on Thursday on the trainer:

On Friday I rode with David and Keith and looked at lines, which was important, truth be told. Overall, I picked good, fast, clean lines. (During the race someone called out “nice lines Cannondale.”) They always push me to my limits. I road biked Saturday and did a short (but fast) MB ride on Sunday. Then I was resting again on Monday.
Changes for this week's race plan was to try and stay closer to the front of my group at the start (I was about 10th in my class out of 40+ when approaching the first climb I think), avoid traffic hold up's (which I mainly did - catching B4, B3 & B2 riders on the first climb), pass when possible (I did a couple of cool passes, including on a few turns thanks to David’s tip on cornering – but I still need to perfect it).
I needed to drink more, so I used a small Camelbak, which sort of worked, except I mixed the drink too strong and so felt a bit sick in the second half and so finally drafted on the straights.
That did not work out so well; the guy in my class I tried to draft kept weaving. So I tagged on the back of David’s group for about 100yards on the back straight, then got dropped. I got to the climb just behind the weaver, blew past on the climb and stayed in the top ring. That fixed him!
My times were quicker all around, and I'm not sure where I passed people in my group. I felt overly tired on the second lap, and cramped right at the end again while avoiding the fire truck. But I was clear of any riders, so I coasted over the line... 

I thought I got 3rd in my class and said “no way,” but I found out it was second. I still can’t believe it!

Another cup!

So, before we know it, it will be race time again.
Andy

No comments:

Post a Comment