Monday, May 21, 2012

US CUP Sagebrush Safari, UET #2

I was going to take a weekend off of racing (having raced the previous 3 weekends), but I couldn't resist the second race of that national Ultra Endurance tour. Also, the Pro purse was tempting.

I have to admit I was nervous about the heat. I had a horrible race in Vail 2 months ago. The heat almost broke me. But David and Annabelle were willing to carpool with me (in David's jeep), so I figured it would be a fun trip, even if it wasn't a fun race. I had heard good things about the course, though, so I expected that the single-track would be fun.

We arrived about an hour before the race start at 10 am, and it was already 80+ degrees out. I didn't have much time for a warm-up, because I still needed to register. Heidi introduced me to the SoCal Endurance team, and Jason Ranoa kindly offered to hand me my bottles at the main aid station, which we would be passing four times. (The course is a figure 8.)

I lined up early, staking out a spot at the front. As Tom explained the complicated course, an older male racer in a Bear Valley Bikes jersey lifted his bike up over the tape and plopped it down in my spot, forcing me backward. When I complained to him he remarked, "I'm doing the 50-miler." Well, sir, aren't we all?! My ire prevented me from hearing everything Tom had to say about the course, and so I knew I'd need to pay special attention to course markers and ask people where to go.

There were about 50 of us, and we were soon off. We started on a road climb and stayed together for the first few miles. Being so close to Pua at the start on a road climb reminded me of the Whiskey 50.



As soon as the really steep climbing began, the group began to break a part. At that point, two male racers who had overheard my exchange with the older racer told me that what he had done was wrong, that they didn't like the guy and that I would be seeing him bent over on the side of the trail!! I felt very heartened by the fact that the guys were so apt at identifying BS sexist behavior. It made me reflect that the vast majority of male racers actively welcome women into the sport and that only an unenlightened minority perpetuate outmoded behaviors.

After the road climb and Four Corners, we hit some AMAZING, flowing single-track. I was riding really smoothly and not getting passed and even doing some passing. Guys were even following me. I was happy to see that my racing was bringing my technical skills back. We then hit a fire road and then more single track. This second bit of single-track had a prolonged hike-a-bike section. Witnessing a male racer in front of me attempting part of it, I followed suit. Bad idea. I fell backward onto my bum, which I badly bruised. Had I pre-rode the course, I would have known not to attempt that.

At this point I can't reconstruct the course in my head. It was just too confusing. The figure 8 thing was different. Also, my spatial/geographical IQ is zero. Seriously.

My general impression was that there was a lot of fire road and road climbing and that most of the descending was awesome single-track - perfect in my book! I ended up racing with the same group of 5-6 guys and/or trading places with them. Jeff Lewis, David and Danny Munoz (who had been hit by a jeep and wasn't having a good race) were among this group. I chit-chatted a bit with some of them, and David was (of course) very encouraging. In fact, David was the only one to pass me on a descent, and he remarked that I have improved considerably on descending!

Oh, and I should mention, I was HOT. Really hot. I was so happy to get water from Jason at the main aid station and to get doused with water by a volunteer. Because of the 90+ degree weather, I really had to pace myself. I could have taken the first Los Pinos climb a lot faster, but I didn't. And that turned out to be a good call, because I started cramping in the last 10 miles, having forgotten my electrolyte tablets at home.

The 3-mile single-track descent from 4 Corners was SUBLIME!!! Even in my (very) painful state, I was able to enjoy it. That says a lot about the course. It was full of fun, swoopy corners.

Toward the end, I was really unsure of where to go, so I started asking people. I almost missed the last turn onto the final small bit of single-track (thinking that I was to go back on the road), but a guy in a car informed that the race finished with single-track. That wrong move would have disqualified me! I think the sun was baking my brain. I was so relieved to get it right. By this time (and for some time prior) I was passing a lot of the amateur racers, but I yelled out my presence way ahead of time, and they were always great about moving over.

The last 10 or 15 miles were sheer pain. The cramps weren't even the worst of it. My stomach was the worst of it. It had expanded to twice its normal size; I just couldn't process all the water I was pouring into it. I had the worst stomach cramps! And I was seriously overheating.

I finally saw the easy ups, which signaled that the start/finish was close. I sprinted the last little bit, and saw Tom wildly signally for me to slow down. I did. The announcer read off my time - 3:57. Yes! Under 4 hours! I thought it would take a good 4.5 hours.

Tom asked me how it went, and all I could manage was some muttering about how hard it was. Sorry Tom! I immediately ran over to the water table and doused myself with two water bottles of water.

After about 10 minutes I had my bearings, and I started socializing a bit and then got cleaned up before the awards. A lot of people had left or were leaving, because they just could not take the heat. However, David (who finished about a minute ahead of me), Annabelle (who finished in sub 5 hours!) and I stuck around until the end. We were having fun, despite the heat.

Annabelle's podium (first place Cat 1 40-49)





David's podium (first place Cat 1 20-29)



My podium (2nd place Open Women) - Monique Pua Mata (1st), me (2nd), Tonya Bray (3rd)


David & Annabelle with their 1st place trophies:



It was really amazing to podium with Pua (my hero!) and to get a $300 check. Also, I was 12th overall, out of about 50 men and women. And David was 10th overall. And Annabelle pulled off a sub-5 hour time. Not bad for the 3 of us!

I also had loads of fun driving up and back with David and Annabelle. It was like a mini road trip. We all plan to do the 50-miler at Big Bear in two weeks time.

Check out the press: http://www.cyclingnews.com/races/us-pro-uet-2-sage-brush-safari-50-2012/results
They point out that Pua obliterated the competition by 23 minutes, while failing to mention that I just turned Pro, have no sponsorship and have relatively little racing experience, save for a bunch of races I did 5 years ago. In any case, Pua gives me something to strive towards, and I'm grateful for that!

'Till next time,
           Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment