Monday, May 21, 2012

Sarah's Traverse Race Report: How I almost won the Traverse

While I was excited to do my first Traverse and to support a SAW Sports Productions race, I was a little sick of racing. It would be my 3rd weekend of racing, after Whiskey 50 and the Idyllwild Spring Challenge. But I think supporting local races is important, as I emphasized on socaltrailriders. So, I sucked it up and went to the packet pick-up and raffle Thursday night. There was tons of swag, and I won an expensive helmet. Score! And when Saturday morning rolled around, I found myself lined up at the start, with my friend AJ Sura snapping pics of me:












Only about 40 people showed for the full Traverse, with another 20 or so people doing the "light" version (i.e., Blackstar-Motorway). The start was pretty casual. Kirk explained the course and then dropped his hat - the signal to "go." 


To my surprise, I was leading, and several guys were drafting me. I recall thinking, "something is seriously wrong with this picture." That didn't last for long, however. Danny Munoz powered out to the front, and three other guys followed. I couldn't hold on, so I didn't get to draft to the dirt, which was a bummer. I shouldn't have started out so fast. I was overly eager. 


But, on the bright side, Danny set a fast pace, and I'm guessing he may have blown some of the other guys up. I passed #4 soon after the dirt and #3 at the top of Blackstar. This being my third week in a row of long races, l felt tired. I was just trying to pace myself. 


At Motorway I ran into Joel Titius, the teenager who smashed the Counting Coup record, with a time of 3:40!! We rode to 4 Corners more or less together. He was very nice, and we chatted a bit.


Having never ridden that portion, my motivation was sapped. I didn't feel like I had loads of energy. I just wanted it to end. Where the heck was 4 Corners, and why was this taking so long?! 


At 4 Corners I stopped for 2 minutes. Seeing AJ there, I regretted not giving her my bottles. I had to mix and refill my bottles myself. I had some Gatorade as well. Thanks AJ for the pics:







The stop must have been good for my legs, because suddenly I had loads of energy. I actually had to reign it in a little bit. I charged up to the Peak, but I could see that #3 wasn't far back. 


After Lower Holy Jim I soon spotted #2, Nick. I sort of slowed to his pace for a minute to recoup some energy for the next haul. I judged that he wasn't as strong as I on the downhills and that if I opened up a gap he wouldn't be able to play catch-up on Trabuco. So, I put the hammer down and released my stored energy. Suddenly, I was right behind Danny at around The Wall. Hearing me behind him (he though I was Nick), he sped up. 


Still, I managed to get pretty close to him by the top of Trabuco,  but I don't think he saw me. I railed Trabuco (I got the QOM!) and almost caught him by the end, but it was too late ... . I knew that I couldn't make up time in the wash. Powering on flats is my weakness for sure. Even so, I kept the gap about the same, and I finished 25 second behind Danny, who very surprised to learn that I was not in fact Nick! Danny had actually had a bad race, getting two flats. Later he told me that he wished that I had won - a woman winning the Traverse would be a first! 


Keith and I chatting with Danny:




The most inspirational story of the day (at least for me) was that a mother and daughter duo finished the Traverse. Meet (from left to right) presumably grandma Prazak and finishers Lyndee and Tawnee Prazak:






Later, Keith and I headed over to O'Neil park for the BBQ and award. The dogs frolicked, and the grownups hung out. Me with my medal:



4 comments:

  1. You kicked some serious butt in this ride!
    Thanks for being my hero and my inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on your race, dang! Major badass! And thanks for the shoutout to us :) Hope to see you at future races (after I get my triathlon races of the season out of the way haha).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, I didn't realize you were a triathlete! I love long-distance running but can't swim at all, but someday I'd like to try a triathlon - maybe an Ironman? I need to learn how to swim properly first, though! If you get a chance, you should try one of these local mtb races - http://overthehumpseries.com/
      Only $25 a pop! Hope to see you out there!

      Delete